Hello and Welcome!
Wait...you're actually here reading about me? I guess I should tell you something about me then. My family moved down to Kannapolis, NC from Buffalo, NY (aka The Great White North, Land of Ice and Snow...). During the off-school season I am a full-time dad and a part-time photographer. I love to work and try new ideas. Whether it's new lighting, cosplay, or something else fantastic that I haven't even thought of yet.
I've been formally trained in photography through my family and the New York Institute of Photography. I've been informally trained by having a camera in my hand since I was old enough to hold one.
The family motto is "Have camera, will travel." Although my personal gear is a set of Nikons, I'll shoot with whatever is put in my hand, Nikon, Canon, Fuji...I've probably shot with all of them at one point or another.
A few things I love beyond just photography:
- Family: Being best friends with my wife for 13 years before we started dating has been worth it. My mom's family was close. Gram was old Sicilian, one of I don't know how many, 5 kids, 10 grandkids, 27 great grandkids (last I counted...). Holidays at Gram's were always the best.
- Travel: I have not traveled as much as I would have liked in my life, but I have been to Japan with the USMC, and Canada among others. Whether its going to the mountains in Asheville, or the coast in Wilmington or the Outer Banks, travel is always exciting.
- Cosplay: Even though I don't cosplay myself, going to conventions when I'm able and photographing other people's love for these characters and the hard work they put into these costumes always gives me joy.
- Renaissance Festivals: Festivals in general and pretty much growing up at Sterling, and having had the pleasure of working with the Carolina Renaissance Festival gave me a deep appreciation for diversity in all its forms.
- Hiking/Nature Trails: Its therapeutic whether its a long hike or a simple walk in the park. When I was little I used to go on camping trips with my dad every year, we'd go canoeing, sightseeing, and historical sites. I haven't been able to do that with my little guy yet, but it's definitely in the plans. All of this has given me an eye for the beauty that surrounds us in all aspects of life.
- Music: Growing up on a wide variety of music my tastes vary wildly and are just about all encompassing. To give you an idea my dad loved the Beatles and the Grateful Dead, my mom loved Miami Sound Machine. I got into other groups while I served, and while stationed in Japan my Sergeant couldn't pass up an opportunity to sing "Hotel California." (To this day I say that "Desperado" by the Eagles sounds best when sung by a woman.) As I type this I'm listening to Moxy Fruvous. Whenever I do a shoot with someone I encourage them to bring their favorite music with them. Pandora is always an option, but if a client has a personal playlist that's preferred.
- Adventure: I'm putting this by itself because it can be anything new. Whether it's climbing Mt. Fuji, Mt. Mitchell, or going Scuba Diving, if it can be photographed, I'm your man.